From:
Anna Swisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:08:55 -0600
Phyllis writes:

>I have heard similar conversations among nurses. They always knew I was
>there when they brought up the topic of discussion. It's not like I was
>hidden behind the support pillar. I don't take the bait.

So far in my very short foray into the hospital realm, I have already heard
six or seven what could be deemed highly offensive statements
/comments/conversations, some directed toward me, others stated loudly
within earshot; one where they had no idea I was in the hall.  I try to let
it go.  From whence do these beliefs stem?  The culture.  Probably nurses
raised with the cultural beliefs that breasts are solely sexual, formula is
'just as good,' etc.  Perhaps they tried to breastfeed twenty years ago and
were sabotaged, as were my two older sisters, and even my mother, with some
of her children. Perhaps they were told by their spouse or physician they
"couldn't do that!" If male, they've been told their entire lives that
breasts are about sex.  Or maybe they resent the time their spouses 'took'
from them to nurture their children at the breast.  Hostility, snide remarks
and sniping often spring from a need to defend personal choices--like the
'role model' nurse in the original post who also smokes.

I hope to broach these topics at in-service opportunities in the future, but
for now, I keep my mouth shut and my nose clean.  Alienating the
commentators won't help build bridges to protect the mothers and babies.

Besides, think of how the formula reps would LOVE it if we bailed:-)

Warmly,

Anna Swisher, MBA, IBCLC
Abundant Blessings
Austin, TX