Jim & Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:11:22 -0600
I would suspect "extra breast" tissue even if it's not way up in the
armpit.  These can occur any place along the "milk line".  Such
tissue would  make milk initially, but should involute when the milk
isn't removed, so I wouldn't expect that to last for months.  I
imagine there can be other reasons why some clusters of alveoli may
not connect eventually with the nipple.   At any rate, since it is
only on one side, nursing exclusively on the other side would be an
option if all else fails.
Is there any history that might indicate some injury to that region
of the breast that may he\ave lead to scar tissue that might
interfere with milk flow?   From your description of the latch, are
you certain the "clicking" isn't actually coming from the area of
baby's mouth?   "Clicking" isn't something I would expect to be
hearing in soft tissue.  I have heard something similar inside my
artificial knee, but that involves plastic and metal.  Bone might be
able to "click", but again, I can't imagine any tissue in the breast
doing so.  A real wild thought-is there any way she could have some
foreign substance imbedded in the breast?  Some old injury where
some hard object might still be lodged there?  I do think some kind
of imaging of the breast in that area could be helpful in trying to
figure out the mystery.

Winnie