From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 21:06:11 -0700
cheryl said, "And then there is my neighbor who is
angry that she has to go to school 3 times a day to
check her daughters blood sugar because she has had
diabetes since she was 3. (Now 8)  She wonders why she
was never told about the diabetes risk when she was
pregnant or after the birth and  she is angry.  There
is diabetes in the family on both sides so she
definitely would have listened."

I hope this mother will spread the word about how she feels about this!
When my son's friend, who had been diabetic since he was a year old, went to
bed exhausted and then never woke up, at barely 13 years old, I couldn't
help but wonder if there might have been someone who could have helped his
mother breastfeed, but didn't want to make anyone feel guilty!  I know that
there was at least some history of diabetes in the family.  So sad and, I
suspect, avoidable!

Darillyn