From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 07:47:07 -0700
I think there are babies who are born comparitively either larger or smaller
than would reflect the size they are likely to be, base on parental size,
who have growth patterns different from those whose birth weight is more
consistent with the size of their parents.  My mother, for example, was nine
and a half pounds at birth, born to a mother who was 5'2" and 90 pounds,
when she got pregnant, and a father who was about 5'8" and 130-140 pounds.
She was a very fat baby, as long as she was breastfed (Grandpa said Grandma
was a regular Holstein) but after she was weaned she did not gain much
weight for a long time, and was very thin, only 98 pounds, when she was
married, which was, genetically, where she should have been.  I would think
that most babies born large, to small parents, would start tapering off much
sooner, though.

My Joseph was the opposite, born a little under average weight, with an
average sized birth mother and very large birth father, and destined to be
quite a large person.  He doubled his birth weight in three months.

I am sure that many breastfeeding situations come to end, because of both of
these scenarios. A baby who was born articifically large, but whose weight
is trying to even out to where it should be, drops on the percentile chart,
and the concern starts that mother does not have enough milk.  Then, there
is the baby who is hungry constantly because his body is trying to gain more
quickly, to be where he should be, and once again, the milk supply is
suspected as being inadequate.

Do any of you have any specified ways of comparing growth, based on factors
such as parental size, rather than just the standard growth charts?

Thanks!
Darillyn