ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kirsten Ellenbogen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:00:31 -0400

I am posting this for a colleague - Kate Haley Goldman - in response to the discussion about formative evaluation, its relationship to usability, and sample size (and in particular Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox article). . .

Applying Nielsen's work in heuristic evaluation of web sites to museums is an interesting question.  His work on a variety of subjects has been seminal in the field, and is certainly worth reading. He argues for a very small n, basically on the idea that even a few users can make suggestions that lead to improvements. Although that is certainly true, there are some other cautions.

First, Nielsen's work in the Human Computer Interaction world is controversial. (See the humanfactors.com site, especially  <http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/sep012.htm> http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/sep012.htm) There are both reliability and validity issues to be addressed, as per Desurvire, H. (1994). Faster, Cheaper!! Are Usability Inspection Methods as Effective as Empirical Testing? which raises serious concerns about the work, such as missing significant numbers of critical errors.

Second, I'm concerned with the notion that usability can replace evaluation. Lynn Dierking and I discuss this in an upcoming book chapter (see reference below) -- it is akin to concentrating solely on whether the door of your science center is unlocked, without paying attention to how visitors are using the resource, whether it could be improved, and whether they are having enjoyable and meaningful experiences.

I have a paper on this at:  <http://www.archimuse.com/mw2003/papers/haley/haley.html> http://www.archimuse.com/mw2003/papers/haley/haley.html

All the best--

Kate

[The usability versus evaluation issue will be discussed in: Haley Goldman, K. and L.D. Dierking (in press) Free-Choice Learning Research and the Virtual Science Center: Establishing a Research Agenda. In R. Subramaniam & L.T.W. Hin (Eds.) E-learning and Virtual Science Centers. Idea Group Publishing. Hershey, USA.]

Kate Haley Goldman

Institute for Learning Innovation

166 West Street

Annapolis, MD 21401