HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:23:36 -0800
Good idea Ned...but I can envision the arguments already.  Just in our
county (San Diego) alone...we can hardly ever get two archys to agree on
terminology.  I don't know if it's partly an ego thing...or what...but most
seem to want to Do it Their way...instead of coming to a consensus...and
using the same terms (or measuring/recording the same attributes.
etc.).  It gets very Frustrating!!  We even tried back in the early
90s...to come up with attributes and terms we could all agree on regarding
debitage (just one aspect of prehistoric archy)...and after 4
sessions...with 10 people...we have to concede to the fact that we would
Never all agree...and went back to doing it as we always had (but hopefully
some had their eyes opened a bit...to New ideas...?).   So I see it as
nearly impossible to agree on terms across this country...let alone the
entire world.   ??????