HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:48:01 -0800
I havent dug holes in many yrs now...but I hear that crews out here in S CA
still do the 6-pack (not a case!) of beer for breaking the line.  It wasnt
worth it (to be paid off) to me...since I dont like beer (or wine).  On one
project...the PI said whoever found obsidian would get a 6-pack...but no
one did.  One guy got in big trouble for salting my screen with a large
obsidian flake tho.  The PI didnt think it was funny.

Back when I did fieldwork (back when we all drove to the job site, instead
of getting there in the company vehicle)...often times the PI would bring a
few 6-packs out to the job site at the end of the day on Fri.   Of course
it wasnt "fair" to those who didnt drink...but most archys Do.   Where I
work now (as the Lab Goddess)...they often have such "parties" in the Lab
at the end of the day on Fri....which again, leaves me out...since I dont
drink alcohol.  But I dont get why some folks feel awkward if they cant
offer you a 'drink' (at parties).  Water is just fine with me.

Back to unit string lines tho...back when I was setting up units...we
sometimes could avoid using string by just cutting in the sides for 10 cm
deep...if the soil was soft enough.  We later "developed" the metal spike
in the corner method of set-up (as opposed to back-staking)...and pretty
much phased out the use of the string (at least after the 1st 10 cm)....so
tripping was no longer an issue.  Once your side walls are started...and
straight...the string can be removed...or is there some reason for
it...that I'm not thinking of?

We used to use line levels to measure depth when I excavated...but now they
just dig by contour I guess.  Ahhh change.   Then there's the use of a PVC
template to start your 1x1 m units.  Anyone use those?  for quick
set-up.  I created one...but no one seems to want to use it...any more.

I've seen some 2-person crews take nearly 30 min. to get a unit set up!!  I
had started setting up my unit at the same time...and had the first level
of dirt all dug up and in the screen and they were just starting to break
the soil!

Ice cream?  Now that's my kind of reward.  ha ha.