ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Stephen Uzzo <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:15:34 -0400

Nancy -
Try Allheart's Stethescope page
(http://www.allheart.com/littmannstethoscopes.html)
They have nurse stethescopes for under $4 ea. with different colors and
quantity discounts. They also sell replacement parts. More expensive
ones will be more durable, but there may be a cost break point (no pun
intended) where you can fix or replace them for cheaper than buying new
ones for $15-$20 each. Also, with the cheap ones, you need to keep
better track of breakage and potential for sharp edges to result. You
might want to buy a few first and beat on them before going for quantity.

Just a note: You have probably thought of this already, but--I would
only use real stethescopes in a pretty controlled environment. It is
easy for kids to damage their hearing if one of their cohort screams
into it (as popularized on TV shows) or slam it on a table. Don't forget
the disinfectant for the ear pieces.

Best of luck

- Steve

--
Stephen Miles Uzzo
New York Hall of Science

"A hen is just an egg's way of making another egg."
                                          - Samuel Butler