ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sara DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:05:45 -0400

David,

I agree with your three key points, the first being the most important.
People care about and care for that which they love.

I'm working with a team at the Brooklyn Children's Museum.  We are
developing a new natural science exhibition.  We're exploring some of the
same questions and more good models out there within the museum community. I
though I'd share some of our research and some useful reference material.

First, I would recommend Human Ecology Review (Winter 2003, Vol.10, No. 2)
that focuses on the "new" field of conservation psychology.  There are a
number of interesting articles that focus on conservation behavior and how
people connect with the natural world.  Also, check out "Children and
Nature" edited by Peter Kahn, Jr. and Stephen Kellert.

I spoke with some of our local NYC park's folks and put the question to
them, "what are the main messages that you would want to get across in terms
of stewardship?"  The had two really interesting things to say.  First, help
people shift one word in their way of thinking from "the environment" to
"our environment."  And secondly, encourage people to get outside and do
things together as families.  Simply put, participants are more likely to
take action.

To David's list I would add, consider all the ways that you can help people
understand the environment, science, culture, literature, art, etc.  Far too
many exhibitions stay focused on one way of approaching content forgetting
that personal and cultural connections can have a significant impact on
visitors attitudes.  Some good examples of places who've taken a more
multidisciplinary approach: Monterey Bay Aquarium's new Shark exhibition and
the traveling exhibition Native Waters.

As far as real time modeling, Exploratorium's Traits of Life had some
interesting computer models of natural systems which react in visual and
concrete ways that a visitor can appreciate.  Also, I still like the Journey
North model, were real data is compiled to create a map that plots the
"migratory front" of butterflies.

As far as conservation action goes,  suggest things that the whole family
can engage in together.  We're exploring integrating Citizen Science
projects into our exhibition as a way to show how lay people can contribute
to ongoing scientific research.

Good luck with all the projects!

Sara

Sara DeAngelis
Project Manager/Lead Exhibit Developer - Natural Science
Brooklyn Children's Museum
145 Brooklyn Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11213

p. 718 735-4400 x149