ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Swiston, Bethany L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:55:39 -0400

I understand Stephen's point that tasks are more meaningful when the inquiry is led by the students.   During the summer, I run a habitat improvement workshop where students identify an environmental problem on the school grounds, devise a plan to correct it, write a grant to secure funds, and then carry it out.  This learning is meaningful to students, no doubt, because they do own it.

During the school year, however, I am limited to the predetermined objectives that are provided for me by the state of Maryland.  Therefore, it is not feasible for all of my science classes to design their own inquiry on a daily basis, because first of all, it would be impossible to manage and also, it would not always lead to the learning of the objectives that the state defines.  What would exist in a perfect world is not always possible in reality.

Bethany Swiston
Grade 5 Teacher
Baltimore County, MD