From:
andrew anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:28:29 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of LACTNET digests <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 8:20 AM
Subject: LACTNET Digest - 4 Jan 2004 to 5 Jan 2004 - Special issue
(#2004-27)

I have seen a similar thing happen as Jan Barger's post. Babies that do not
move from one feeding method to another easily. I have had moms sent home
form the hospital finger feeding for weeks still not get to the breast
despite all the attempts possible. Finger feeding should not become THE
alternative feeding method that is always used. It may be helpful for very
short term intervention (like the first day of two in the hospital). But is
rarely a good plan to send a new mom home with. Some of the moms I see who
call me after finger feeding for a few weeks are completly overwhelmed. They
are pumping and doing long arduous finger feeds. This has not led them any
closer to breastfeeding. And some of them are sent home with make -shift
arrangements from the hospital that leak all over (wasting breastmilk, yet)
and with a limited number of feeding tubes and no instructions for cleaning
at home. Some of the tubes that I have seen are pretty ugly looking. One Dad
was cleaning the tube by blowing thru the tube- not exactly pristine. This
is no way to help a breastfeeding family. When I have switched the plan to
include bottle feeding using Dee Kassings upright paced feeds and continued
with latch attempts, both parents usually breathed a sigh of relief. And I
think I even heard a sigh or two from some of the babies. (If only they
could talk). Most babies will latch given some" tincture of time." I have
seen babies latch at 2,4,6,10 weeks) I even had a little one who took 31/2
months. His mother pumped and bottle fed (fingerfed from the hospital for 2
weeks first )and was committed to doing this for 4 months.He is still
nursing at 18 months and has refused an occassional bottle of EBM since 5
months. This mother said that when she called me she was ready to give up
because finger feeding was so arduous. In this case, bottle feeding saved
breastfeeding by keeping the possibility open while the baby couldn't. I
rarely use finger feeding  in the home. This is a tool that must be used
very carefully and sparingly, in my opinion. Ann Anderson, RN,IBCLC,New
Jersey