From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:23:06 -0500
Jo-Anne said:

>The proof of true respect and freedom of expression is how those who
>don't share the majority view are treated. Whether it is coming from
>health care providers, mothers or people like me who have strong
>theoretical and practical reasons for objecting, I hope that people who
>are making judgments on the best way to communicate take this into
>consideration.

Thank you so much, Jo-Anne. I deal with this issue every time I do work
in any pro-breastfeeding or anti-circumcision circle. The
pro-breastfeeders want to insist that breastfeeding is the only way,
just as the no-circers want to insist that an intact penis is the only
way. I happen to agree with both! But I try to be understanding of those
who do not cross over from group to group.

I had one circumcised man tell me "if my mother was going to circumcise
me, who cares if she breastfed me or not?" clearly implying that just to
breastfeed was not *best* for him. At least not from his perspective.
Had he been given the choice, he'd have taken the intact penis and the
bottle. He has a right to say that, after all, he is the one who has
suffered the mutilation.

It's a difficult thing to address all of the feelings associated with
parenting choices. And just weighing the health risks doesn't cut it, IMHO.

Susan
Susan Keith-Hergert
mom, nurse, doula and lactation consultant
Holistic Natal Care * Cincinnati
MMMM.... Making Mothering More Magical! ;-)
http://www.uniquebabyboutique.com/?HolisticNatalCare