Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:33:38 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I have some experience with goats' rue over the past several years. In one situation, the mom did not use goat's rue with her first baby, had tubular reast and managed to breastfeed while supplying about half of her baby's needs. She did use reglan for awhile and fenugreek. With the second baby, she began goat's rue late in pregnancy and continued in combination with MoreMilk Plus (MMP) and domperidone and provided about 95% of baby's milk.

A mom I have worked with recently began MMP at about a week pp after a terrible start--her milk had not come in at all--and saw some immediate improvement. She then added goat's rue and within a short time had terrible stomach pain and became quite ill. We thought it might be the fenugreek. She began domperidone and her supply has steadily increased over the past month. She tried the goat's rue again and within about 6 hours experienced stomach cramping--she was not using the MMP.  We do wonder if the mom is sensitive to the vinegar used to extract the herb, rather than the herb itself. Mom is planing to try the MMP again, carefully.

I have had several other moms use goat's rue for short periods of time with no ill effects.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2