From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:15:43 -0500
John Smyth:

>Oh the thrill of discovering Richard Strauss in my early twenties.
>Most of the recordings I acquired back then--Ormandy, Ashkenazy/Cleveland--
>I still have and I haven't really looked into alternative performances
>until now.  A very no-frills, informal, non-scientific report; I hope
>it's moderately useful:

About ten years ago, I did a survey of then-available recordings of
Richard Strauss's instrumental works, which was to have been published
by the Greenwood Press.  The volume's editor, however, suffered a severe
personal crisis, and I haven't heard anything since.  I think I can
safely consider my "exclusive contract" with Greenwood null and void,
especially since I was never compensated for my work.

If anyone's interested, I'll try to make it available on the net.

Steve Schwartz