ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Borok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:29:33 -0800

Hi Folks:

We are a smaller (read: can't buy lots of gadgets and have few staff
to support them) visitor center with an entry theater that plays our
overview film on a loop. We use a Pioneer-V7200 DVD player (probably
out of date by now) connected to a device made by Museum Technology
Source, Inc. (800-729-6873 in Winchester, MA) called a video disc
controller. The controller is connected to a motion detector in the
theater, so when someone walks in, the film begins. No chapters,
menus, etc. appear, though they are encoded on the DVD itself. The
film is projected using a Hitachi CP-S317T data projector and sound
is routed through Brown Innovations dome speakers. In five years of
6-day a week use, the only glitch in the system has been the data
projectors. We had a high-end Mitsubishi that caused us no end of
grief, but the education-level Hitachi works like a charm. (WHY are
the replacement lamps for these so expensive??)

This system is pretty cool when we host special events or weddings.
Folks can put in their own DVDs and have them loop throughout the
event (e.g. slide show of how the couple met, "background" images for
string ensembles to play in front of). It's a bullet-proof enough
system that our event managers (student employees) can work with it
with very little training.

The disc controller did require some initial programming via a laptop
computer (a step that occurred before I was on staff, so I have no
real knowledge of the process), but hasn't needed any tweaking since
then.

Lisa
Lisa Borok ([log in to unmask])
Visitor Programs Manager
Seymour Center, Long Marine Lab, Univ. California Santa Cruz
100 Shaffer Rd., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)459-5548
Fax: (831)459-1221
web: http:/seymourcenter.ucsc.edu