ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:54:34 -0500

Hi Paul,

I know next to nothing about electric catfish but if the current put out is very low and of a direct current nature, your might be able to get some specially designed LEDs to work here. A very good source of these is:

Jim Stabler
Starled, inc.
1050 E. Dominguez St.
Carson, CA 90746
(310) 603-0403

Starled makes custom current limited LEDs that are direct replacements for incandescent lamps. They are more than willing to work with small orders that intrigue. You may want to speak with Jim's engineer sidekick, Bo.

remember that the ultimate current flow depends upon the output voltage of the fish and so as it gets bigger you may want a way to increase the series resistor that will protect the LED.

Good luck!