HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Redwine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:44:24 -0500
The following url: http://www.tealeafclub.com/index.htm is to a Tea Leaf
Club International website.

Charles Redwine

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Susan
Walter
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 10:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: tea leaf question

Hello, ceramics experts,
I have a large ewer rim fragment, and a matching cuspidor rim sherd from a
California site that dates as early as 1849.  There is a small amount of
blue puddling in a molded line that encircles the ewer fragment.  The only
decoration present is a wide brown, hand painted band that goes around the
rim.  It is set about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in from the edge of the rim.  There is
no hint of lustre in this brown.  There is no tea leaf on this piece, but
this looks so strongly of tea leaf decorated items that I was wondering if
anyone had seen tea leaf NOT in lustre.  Thanks!
S. Walter