HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:14:15 -0400
In a message dated 6/9/2004 1:02:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Julia Costello held a ceramics workshop at the SCA Meeting in San Luis Obispo
back in 1979 (you would recall better than me) and James Deetz delivered a
presentation on mass-produced ceramics. Julia had referred to the Mission
pottery as "Colono Ware" and there was serious discussion. Deetz strongly
advised
against calling our material by that name, which comes from an entirely
different culture,
This is an interesting bit of irony, because I would argue that what Dr.
Deetz called colonoware at Flowerdew was more  likely "colono-indian" ware, making
it a product of totally different culture than the one he attributed it
to.... Carl Steen