HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew Sterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:35:24 -0700
Howdy all! I would have to say that the most memorable find for me was on a
multicomponent site here in Tucson. While excavating downtown, we identified
two interred individuals . . . extended burials, side by side. One appeared
to be a mature adult (male) while the second was a younger male (likely 13
to 18 years of age). While excavating the adult, I exposed an Apache
arrowpoint embedded on the interior face of the fifth or sixth rib on the
left side (about 2 to 3 inches from the spine. Pretty creepy!

But the most fun was when the television newscasters arrived to get film
footage of the discovery We, of course, would not allow then to photograph
the remains, but as I tried to demonstrate the the flight and impact of the
arrow that apparently took the life of this man (pointing directly to my
heart), the astute news person asked, "So what do you think killed him?"