ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ed Sobey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:47:07 -0700

Lisa-

    In simple terms you can copyright the written word. No filing is needed.

    You can trademark the image or wording that represents an organization
or product.  This needs to be filed.

    Patents are filed with the USPTO.

    For someone building an interactive exhibit, a patent isn't probably
worth the expense.  And, it might not qualify for a "utility patent."  A
"design patent" wouldn't be worth the effort as someone could easily alter
the design and build their own version.

    If they create a device that is new, not obvious, and is useful - say
something to help you see the phenomena - that could be patented.  But the
high costs of a patent makes it prohibitive unless you foresee some solid
income.

    The afterschool program could be protected as a copyright - but that
wouldn't stop someone from ripping off (sharing) the ideas that are the
essence of the program.

    The ideas are public domain - or trade secrets.  It's the packaging that
(often) gives them greater value and allows them to be protected.

                                    Ed Sobey

Ed Sobey, Ph.D.
Northwest Invention Center
2420 178th NE