ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:24:11 -0700

Wayne,
        The exhibit I think you are talking about was called Atomic
Pinball.  There was a hidden shape under a panel that you could
slowly shoot 3/4 inch ball bearings at and watch how they bounced
back out (all on a flat surface i.e. 2D)  you could make a guess by
pushing a button and see if you had chosen the right shape.
There was a turntable with 4 different shapes so when you were
finished with one, you would push a button and it would rotate
90 degrees and you would have another shape to try to figure
out.
        This was a great device and I nursed it and kept it going
(much to the annoyance of some of my exhibit maintenance staff)
until the 25th anniversary of the World's Fair, when it finally was
so worn that I had to let it rest in that great exhibit retirement home
in the sky, (or was it the land fill, can't remember.)
        In many ways I see the 1962 Fair in Seattle and the 1964/65
Worlds Fair in New York as the last of the great fairs.  Since then
I have seen them using film as the primary medium rather than
exhibits.

Dave Taylor

From: Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>