HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 23:31:18 -0400
On Apr 6, 2004, at 11:02 PM, Rachael J Herzberg wrote:

> Lyle,
>     Thank you for the information. I requested the book, and hopefully
> it
> will appear soon.
> To everyone else,
>      I'm already getting heckled for doing the "boring" thesis!
> Rachael

It would be interesting to see if steam superseded water as the typical
power source for boring mills. Steam has less variability and
presumably more power. Tredegar used water and steam, Bellona appears
to have used water only, and S&P was adjacent to the JR&K Canal and was
presumably water powered.

Lyle Browning