HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:56:30 -0500
I have worked a number of times in "gammas" and "teslas" (milligamma, mG and
nanoteslas, nT) that is the units used to measure the Earth's magnetic
field, which is affected by the solar storms. Ten years ago, as a field
archaeologist in the former West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, NY on the
east bank of the Hudson River shared with the Academy, we would survey with
one magnetometer and leave another nearby. The one nearby records the shifts
in the Earth's magnetosphere as the day goes (time mark recorded) and used
to add or subtract for the readings of equidistant survey across the ground
with the other magnetometer. We were trying to locate magnetic "anomalies"
which in a "storm" could come from above rather than from below, in the
ground. Looking for the testing platform (ca. 1859, a Category 4 Solar Storm
year) for the 200-300 lb. shells Parrott "rifled cannon" (17(?) tons) that
pulverized some of the southern US, in a former bridge and iron assembly
shop (untill fire in 1913, the Chicago Bridge and Steel Co., still in
business, looking for neutrinos I read) was challenge enough without a
geomagnetic storm "skewing" the results, especially when one learns later
over 1 million artillery shells (some of the first incendiary) were made
there and went where? One old photo shows a woman working there, perhaps on
the 30,000 wooden gun carriages and caissons made there. By the way, "brain
storming" was invented in Buffalo, NY by psychologist Carl Rogers.

An EPA project, for cadmium contamination, in the Constitution Marsh and
Foundry Cove, from battery production for the NIKE ABM. Cleaned to Federal
standards but NOT New York State standards for contamination, Federal "parts
per" twice the State "parts per" allowed.

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.