ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jeff courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:57:47 -0500

one the one hand, Lisa Jo Rudy is quite right.  on the other hand.....in an
informal setting why must there be such an absoute with regard to HOW and
WHERE to look?  it suggests that if we don't do this, its a wasted
experience for the visitor. it presupposes that we know what they should
learn.   it also presupposes we want them to gain factual knowledge, which
many of us think is more wishful thinking than a realistic goal.

what's wrong with not having the definitive answer.  explain to me why
things fall?  is it a newtonian explanation, is it based on Einstein's work?
are we talking about on a nuclear scale? a human scale? a cosmological
scale?

i hope my response won't be seen as sarcastic or negative; it is offered to
suggest that 1)things i think i understand, such as gravity, i don't
understand at all and i am therefore squeamish about providing anyone with
an absolute answer without putting an asterik by it 2) there is nothing
wrong with leaving with more questions than you came with.

maybe there's even a third suggestions:  in informal learning situations,
there are more gradations than there are absolutes.