ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Shanahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:43:40 +0930

Hi Bethany,

I think if you are looking into the classroom, the fundamental educational
principles must surely come first?

Well defined and measurable objectives, careful planning to achieve those
objectives, activity rich learning experiences, the opportunity for children
to use their imaginations and make the information their own and above all
ensuring the experience is positive and the children successful.

This, followed by careful and objective evaluation, will almost certainly
lead to a good educational outcome. In this light, technology is surely a
tool to achieve your objectives - nothing more. So, if you are achieving
your objectives and technology is helping you do that, I say keep doing it!

In regards to the article, I would agree that technology can be used badly
but it sounds to me like what you are doing is far from bad. Yes, sometimes
learning is difficult (as the article points out) but the one thing that
gets people through that difficult time, without giving up, is motivation.
If you are providing motivation and success to your students, surely that is
the best preparation they can have for when things get difficult?