ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Swiston, Bethany L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:26:12 -0400

Using probes and sensors in my classroom has definitely allowed my students to develop a deep understanding of heat energy.  The task that we completed tested different materials and colors to determine their temperatures when exposed to a light source.  However, learning the software, the technology, and developing computer skills (my students are only in fifth grade) took so long that although this task would have normally taken a day or two, the unit took over two weeks!

So, now I'm wondering if it's better to teach with technology that allows greater depth, or whether it's better to cover more content.  My thought is that covering more content superficially is just wasting time, and that if they don't really delve into it, that they won't really 'get it.'  Do you agree?

Bethany Swiston
Grade 5 Science Teacher