ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Charles Stout)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:24:50 EDT

It seems to me that technology is a valid subject in and of itself. Hi-tech
is only a small subset of humanity's relationship with the tools and methods
that comprise technology. The technology used to create touchscreen kiosks and
IMAX films is a smaller subset still. Helping our visitors to learn
technologies ("for technology's sake") benefits them in their long-term skill and
comfort in learning new technologies as they arise.

world making use of the senses,
intellect, and experimentation?  Eg, you don't need "technology" to recreate
Galileo's gravity experiments or Darwin's research.  It's a matter of
observation, experimentation and reasoning, it seems to me..."

Any apparatus or procedure one would use to conduct experiments and measure
the results is technology. You can't do Galileo's gravity experiments or
Darwin's research without technology.

Charlie Stout
Media Arts Manager
Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum