ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:17:41 -0400

We are resubmitting a proposal to NSF for funding to extend our Digital
Discovery Lab program, which is intended to integrate technology into
5-20 hour science workshops.  We have been doing this under a private
grant for a few years, and have found that using digital tools such as
video, audio, and gps has greatly improved our retention of middle
school kids in after school programming.  Our digital media summer
camps are sold out (a school district and the Partnership for After
School Education bought up all the slots).  The program developers have
done a great job of integrating real inquiry science activities with
digital media.   The key to our program is *sustained* contact ( 20
hours or so), and real world science experiences.

  It appears to me that the tools for integrating "technology" into
classroom learning have matured to the point where they are pretty
useable.  The AHA moment for me came when I was "Principal for a Day"
in a middle school in Queens three years ago.  The teacher had taken
the kids to the NY Aquarium.  The class was broken into four groups,
each of which was assigned a species, and each group was given a DV
camera (along with a chaperone...).  They filmed their species and used
a precursor to imovie (I think it was called hyperstudio).  Then they
came back to the classroom and I think the geekier kids edited the
video, complete with silly Pee Wee's playhouse magic words and rockin
music.

The kids *owned* that trip in a way I had never seen, and were totally
proud of their accomplishment.  This was a regular, low income,
high-stress urban middle school, with a creative, tech-friendly teacher
10 ibooks and five dv cameras.  Nowadays, that is a capital investment
of about 15K

If anyone would like more info about our planned submission to NSF (we
can use all the support we can get), please contact me off list.

Eric Siegel
Director, Planning & Program Development
Connections Project Director
New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Queens, NY 11369