HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Timothy B. Riordan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:16:38 -0500
The Time Team experience was, how shall we say, "interesting" to say the least. While they were at St. Mary's, they worked on three projects (incredible for one weekend).

In the cemetery, they used geophysics to try to define the limits of the graveyard. Becuase of local conditions, the reults were inconclusive.

In an area we had already surveyed, they decided from air photos that there was an earthen fort. Previous and susequent excavation demonstrates that it does not exist. On the edge of this area, the geophysics found a brick concentration which turned out to be a 17th century structure which we have since further investigated.

The most successful of the projects was at St. Peters, a hugh brick mansion built in 1677-79. Using a magnotometer, they relocated the foundation of the building. This was assisted by the fact that in 1694, approximately 1000 lbs of gunpowder exploded in the basement of the building. This and the resulting fire reset the magnetic signal of the brick and gave a wonderful readout of the foundation. The most important part of this project was that we were able to get access to the site (it is still on private property) and assess some of the work done in the 1940s.

The work at St. Peters did contribute significantly to the understanding of that site and the discovery of the other 17th century building was important. I think the best part was watching the English crew deal with the hottest weekend in May ever recorded and the idea of ticks in the grass.

Tim Riordan
Historic St. Mary's City