HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:06:59 +1100
One 19th century pipe study is by Alexandra Dane and Richard Morrison
[1979], Clay pipes from Port Arthur 1830-1877.

D and M didn't measure stem diameters citing Oswald and Walker as saying the
Binford regression formula breaks down in the 19th century, with Walker
saying this is due to:

1.    mass manufacturing and proliferation of different mould types

2.    bores less than c. 4/64" impractical with available technology

3.    increased use of shorter pipes.

Reason no. 2 sounds the most intuitively convincing to me.

Denis