HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:03:06 +1100
Todd

Slightly before your requested period, and slightly to the southwest but
perhaps useful nonetheless.  Aedeen Cremin, then at University of Sydney,
excavated at the site of John Tebbutt's private observatories, at Windsor on
the rural outskirts of Sydney, Australia in 1987.

He was an unofficial astronomer who built many of his own instruments, and
had a succession of bigger and better observatories at his home.  Apparently
he did major work on the southern stars and ended upon the Australian $100
note for a time, along with several of the buildings.  I'm sure there will
be copies on some banknote website.  The first two observatories [1863 and
??] are archaeological and the latest two remain extant.

I have a copy of the excavation report.  Please contact off-list if you
would like it.

The most recent email address I have for Aedeen [[log in to unmask]] is
quite old and may no longer be operative.

Cheers

Denis

Denis Gojak
Banksia Heritage + Archaeology