HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anne Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:08:25 -0700
I am working with an assemblage from a one-room schoolhouse site in southern
Kansas (c. 1877-1940s?). In addition to several slate pencils, I have what
were originally identified as battery cores that appear to have been
sharpened for writing tools. They are a light to medium gray color,
uniformly round in cross-section (unlike many of the slate pencils) and
range from 4.8 to 6.8 mm in diameter. They are much softer than slate
pencils making them easier on the ears when writing on a slate.

Does anyone have any knowledge of battery cores being reused as such?

Thanks,
Anne Bauer
Kansas State Historical Society