ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:49:59 -0400
From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:

I once worked at a site that charged all students and chaperones, but teachers were free. There was some ugliness one day because the person who was working the front desk was a retired teacher and he was not about to let a home school parent in as a teacher because "I went to school for five years to be a teacher, and they never went to school at all..." etc etc.

Anyway, like Marcia we went to a standard policy of one free adult for every ten children. Period. If more came, they paid. If siblings came, they paid. It didn't matter if they were public, private, or home schools, or Girl Scout troop, or camp, or whatever. Not only did this make things more pleasant, and made home school groups feel like they were being treated like everyone else it also had other positive effects:

1. It made our paperwork easier
2. It discouraged some groups from bringing too many chaperones, which can be a problem in small gallery spaces, and can encourage chatty adults who don't realize that "chaperone" is a verb AND a noun.
3. We made a little extra money by not letting in so many free adults.

We got only a little negative feedback when we instituted the rule, but that was mostly because it was a change, not because the new policy was so egregious in and of itself.

Having a policy that is the same for everyone is the best way to iron out the appearance of bias and prejudice as well.

One exception I would strongly recommend you make: We made it a policy that if any teacher or group leader thought that they needed a lower ratio than one to ten, then we let them have it. We required the request in writing, but if a teacher or orther leader thinks their group needs more supervision because of behaviour, emotional, or learning problems, LET THEM HAVE IT!!

Your floor staff will thank you.

Matthew White
Director
Hands On Science Center