HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:26:25 -0500
From:
Timothy James Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Hi Carol,
You might try to look up the patents at one of your nearby Cal State
libraries.  They will probably provide illustrations of the object in the
device of which it is a part.

When I was a student, I once used such a patent record surprise myself and
learn that a glass disk embossed "lightning" was actually part of a canning
jar lid rather than a lightning rod, which seemed very reasonable
explanation to me at the time.  My female peers were very amused by the
entire affair.  I keep a photocopy of the picture in my office as a reminder
of my own gender and class biases.

Let us know what your patent numbers reveal!

Cheers,
Tim

On 11/19/03 12:07 PM, "Trish" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

Timothy James Scarlett
Assistant Professor of Archaeology
Program in Industrial History and Archaeology
Department of Social Sciences
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, Michigan 49931-1295 USA
Tel (906) 487-2359 Fax (906) 487-2468 Internet [log in to unmask]
MTU Website: http://www.industrialarchaeology.net
SHA Website: http://www.sha.org  SIA Website: http://www.sia-web.org
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises
some pretty good questions."

     -Woody Allen, New Your Herald Tribune, 1975