HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:20:51 -0400
From:
Timothy James Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
All:

I'll briefly 'decloak' from the background to re-introduce myself.  I'm Tim
Scarlett, an internet-shy, American, Academic historical archaeologist who
occasionally tells people to go to the damn library.  I'm a member of a
couple of professional organizations, of which the SHA is my primary group.
I'm the chair of the SHA's Academic and Professional Training Committee,
where I loosely coordinate efforts among a fantastic group of committed
professional and student archaeologists dedicated to improving the overall
intellectual quality of our discipline.

In 2002, I finished my Ph.D. in Anthropology from the University of Nevada,
Reno.  I've also joined the faculty at Michigan Technological University
where I teach historical archaeology in the graduate program in Industrial
History and Archaeology.  Like most list members, I've broad interests which
range from culture theory and human-ecological relationships through the
archaeological sciences, ceramics, and humanistic archaeology.  Among my
current research projects, I'm studying the potters of nineteenth century
Utah: their immigrations, how they adapted their potting skill to the new
context of work, and how they situated themselves and their production
within social and ideological relationships.  I've also partnered with my
colleague Pat Martin on a major project at the site of the West Point
Foundry in New York, an internationally-famous nineteenth century iron
foundry known for its military and civilian products.

I like to think of myself as a young scholar, hardly approaching the title
of "old timer."  I have, however, also been on HISTARCH since 1994.  I
actually went to the HISTARCH archive to look up the last time I posted this
kind of introduction to the list.  It was a long time ago and is now
amusingly outdated.  I included it below for two reasons:  First, I hope
current student participants find a bit of relief that even us 'old timers'
were students at some point.  Second, it serves as a great example of how
one can search the HISTARCH archive to dig up cool dirt on all the 'old
timers' on the list.  Applying to grad school soon?  Before you go for your
interviews, look up everything that your potential advisor has posted to the
list!  This can be quite revealing...