From:
Jay Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 02:54:09 EDT
Peds and JAMA have disturbing articles this week with questionable
conclusions about co-sleeping and exclusively breastfeeding based on preconceived
notions, small sample sizes and poorly defined criteria for the studies.

For example, in the JAMA studies, exclusive breastfeeding is not defined at
all!   They reference Norris (retrospective dietary analyses--strongly doubt
exclusive BF) and Hummel a study which also does not define exclusive
breastfeeding well enough.

All of us know that babies who are supposed to receive no bottles or formula
in the nursery often get formula.   This is merely one of the confounding
variables ignored in these studies.

Early exposure to cow's milk may not contribute to DM:   Further study is
needed.

But, I have a hard time believing that there is a magic window at 6 months
for cereal exposure.   Exclusive breastfeeding for 9-12 months of life will
someday be shown to promote optimal health, fewer allergies, and a lowered risk of
DM.   The funding may have to come from sources without an agenda.   Those
are few and far between.

I am afraid our impugning breast milk perfection (in all but the most
extraordinary circumstances) for infants by recommending everything from Vitamin D to
supplemental iron may be opening the door for mediocre research with specious
reasoning.

Jay Gordon, MD, FAAP, IBCLC

P.S. My copy of the AAP's response to the "toxins in breast milk" sophistry
got lost in the email.   Please send me your copy.

Jay