From:
"Frank J. Nice" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:49:06 +0000
My current email address is: [log in to unmask]
Ever since I left the NIH and am between jobs, I must do all my email at
home.  With the current volume of Lactnet postings and being at home, I can
only access the postings once or twice a day.
Re: Gadopentetate, the enhancing agent used in MRIs
When injected into 20 lactating women, less than 0.04% of mothers' doses
were found in breast milk.
The AAP considers it to be compatible with breastfeeding, and no adverse
effects have been reported.
There is no reason at all to pump and dump (except if it makes the mother
feel better, just once after she gets home from the MRI, and even that is
not necessary).  By the time she gets home, she should breastfeed as soon as
here baby desires to do so. I know of no restrictions on breastfeeding women
who have MRIs with gandopentetate at the NIH.
Hope this helps.
Frank J. Nice, DPA, CPHP
PS: Hopefully, the sooner my book gets published, the number of information
requests that I get like this will also go down!