From:
Sara Reuning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:22:53 -0400
In the city where I live, there is a small, private college which offers a
BSN degree .  I have been asked to give one or two lectures about
breastfeeding to the nursing students, and probable dates are 8/22 & 8/25,
the usual hr. class.  I had been away from home when the request came in a
week ago, and it just got lost in the shuffle.  I would really appreciate
your suggestions, and to help you have an idea of the particular needs, I
am including a portion of the message from the biology prof who contacted
me.  He wrote in first person about the request to himself from the nursing
faculty:

<<<I've (the biology prof.) been asked by a nursing prof to emphasize the
importance of breastfeeding for nursing student education this term, as
nursing faculty are pressed to do it justice in their lifestyle development
course this fall.

I welcome this opportunity, as it provides a greater chance to stress for
nurses (and potential parents) the benefits of breastfeeding their children
AND the value of their support as nurse caregivers for breastfeeding moms,
especially first timers.

The course this term where I teach about breastfeeding is
Microbiology/Immunology. Typically I begin with a history of disease,
infectious agents, and our immune system. In my courses I try to
de-emphasize facts and figures as the sole basis of education, vs. life
information to enable wise choices.

I'll be away this year at start of term, and wondered if you (meaning me,
Sara) would be willing to do 1-2 lectures/presentations/discussions on
any/all of these topics: history of breastfeeding (why in and out of favor
in other cultures and ours), why breastfeed, advantages to mother and baby,
breastfeeding as disease prevention, breastmilk as a source of antibodies,
etc.  Any of these topics you would be willing to cover would aid in
education of these students, and provide another voice of advocacy on this
issue.

Video/handouts welcome. La Leche League promotion encouraged.>>>

I know that many of you have taught nursing students and/or regularly teach
breastfeeding classes, while I have only been a yearly guest lecturer to
this prof's biology students, and that was only for informal
presentations.  Since time is limited, what do you think is really
important for these students to take from this?

Thanks in advance.
Sara Reuning, MS, IBCLC, LLLL in Bristol, TN