From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:02:15 -0500
Don's attention was grabbed by the coming Naxos release of...

>...the Miaskovsky/Vainberg Violin Concerto coupling.

Talk about 'the real deal' -- you had, about pianist Schliessmann -- I'd
like to ditto the expression regarding violinist Vadim Repin.  I attended
a revelatory performance (with an MCMListmember friend) of Prokofiev's
1st Violin Sonata at the Wigmore Hall last summer.  One of those musical
events I'm not likely to ever forget.

I've been seeking out his recordings since, and am very pleased with
Repin's Miaskovsky VC (and Tchaikovsky's), with the Kirov Theatre Orchestra
under Valery Gergiev, on Philips 473-343.

Bert Bailey