From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2004 07:19:06 -0400
David Harbin wrote:

>Dear All, Can anyone recommend the Sinopoli/VPO Lyric Symphony?  What
>are your favourite versions?

In Third Ear Classical Music, I wrote that Sinopoli's is the most
powerful version, with Debra Voigt and Bryn Terfel; their Wagnerian
voices fit the conductor's concept (DG).  Terfel is the best of the
baritones, but good as Voigt is, I prefer a leaner-toned soprano.
Sinopoli and the close recording bring out many often hidden instrumental
lines, revealing a more complex, vibrant, and eerie score than most.
The Vienna Philharmonic's expression, color, and robustness are heard
nowhere else.

There are are other good recordings I mentioned there including Chailly,
Flor, Gielen, Klee, and Ferro.  The Conlon is good but more French in
style, if I recall. The new Beaumont is very good.

Roger Hecht