From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:03:00 -0700
David Harbin wrote:

>EMI will be releasing a pair of superbudget CDs of Honneger symphonies
>by Plasson in Toulouse.  I cannot find any reviews of these recordings
>and wonder if they are any good?

I "imprinted" on Baudo's Supraphon 2 and 3, gosh, must be 35 years ago
now.  (The BBC BTW once used the main string theme from the first movement
of the 2nd as the music for the opening credits of a production of IIRC
Great Expectations, also around 35 years ago).  I wish I could find the
CD reissue togerther with 1, 4 and 5 (I also have his 1 & 4 on LP and
they are excellent).

I also thought that Jansons' 2, 3 + Pacific 231 on EMI was very fine,
better for my money than the overrated Karajan.

There are some fine live performance flosting around - there's a good 2
by Munch on a French label whose names escapes me.

And I must also recommend Ansermet's 4 (4?) on Decca c/w with the totally
delightful Cantate de Noel (if I'm remembering the title correctly)

I am unafmiliar with the Plasson though.  He did a good Saint-Saens 3 a
few year back, but I don't think that can really be taken as an indication
one way or the other...

Deryk Barker
dbarker @camosun.bc.ca