From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:32:54 -0400
Regarding murder and music, Deryk said:

>...apparently deputy fuhrer Reinhard Heydrich (whose assassination in
>1941 led to particularly bloody reprisals in what was once Yugoslavia)
>was a very good violinist.

The Czech Republic, actually: Heydrich was Reich Protector of
Bohemia-Moravia (the "Sudetenland," plus).  It's highly unlikely
that there will ever exist anything to match the 'Final Solution' that
Heydrich is said to have announced at the Wannsee conference on the 20th
of January, 1942.

That said, after having read WG Sebald's "On the Natural History of
Destruction" I should add that we'd be remiss to overlook that, during
the 2nd World War, many music lovers very likely manned those planes
piloted by Brits, Poles, Canadians, Australians and, after '42, USAmericans,
to pummel more than 130 German towns and cities into rubble.  About half
of this book collects pieces skirting around this subject, and Sebald
would surely grumble about their post-mortem assembly as his "final
work." Even so, the parts of it that treat this seldom-discussed episode
of that war make it a highly recommendable read of history from our
own time.  ...of the very kind, I can't help but add, that our
Hollywood-'educated' leaders would be wise to read, to gain a better
grasp of the real meaning of being at war.

In any case, from the remoteness of those planes, these Allied fire-bombers
killed more than 600,000 German civilians -- women, children, and old
or very young men -- also for no military reason whatever.

Incidentally, the town razed by the Germans in retaliation for Heydrich's
assasination is the one named in Martinu's 'Memorial to Lidice.'

Bert Bailey