From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 13:00:06 -0400
Way back in March of 1999, Don Satz said:

>Speaking of obscure, I also recently bought a Marco Polo disc of Poot
>symphonic works and a CPO disc of Toch symphonies.  ...Could list
>members ...comment on what they like about either composer?

Don't yet know Poot, and much has surely changed for Don and the rest
of us regarding Ernst Toch (1887-1964) -- for instance, the issue of
plenty of SQs on cpo and other labels (Laurel, for one), at least 5
symphonies on cpo, and two versions of his Cello Concerto, Op 35.  I
bought the Albany-Troy (421) issue, with Steven Honigberg as soloist,
and couldn't be happier with that work and Toch's Impromptu for cello
solo, Op 90c, and the Cello Sonata Op 50.  A winning CD indeed!

Further to those, I write now to praise the latest issue: a New World
Records (80609-2) CD of Toch's Piano Concerto #1, Op. 38; Peter Pan, A
Fairy Tale for Orchestra, Op 76; Pinnochio, A Merry Overture; and Big
Ben, Variation Fantasy on the Westminster Chimes, Op 62.  (Leon Botstein
cond.  NDR Symphony Orch Hamburg; Todd Crow on piano)

The Piano Concerto, composed in 1926, is a masterpiece: atonal yet
not dodecaphonic, fresh and challenging and in the end fully satisfying,
brimming with wildness under superb control.  Steve spoke praisingly of
the Big Ben Variations in his original response to Don's query.  Me, I'm
still digesting those three remaining pieces while I recover from the
PC.  Clearly one of the 20th century's outstanding composers.

Very strongly recommended.

Bert Bailey