From:
Pat Bucknell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 10:15:54 -0400
Hello everyone!
I'm Pat Bucknell from Avon Lake, Ohio--about 25 miles west of
Cleveland along Lake Erie.  I've been a La Leche League leader for
23 years and am the mother of 6 breastfed children ranging in age
from 24 to 8 years.  I've also been IBCLC since '92, in private
practice, just recently joined with another
IBCLC.  I teach BF classes at 3 area hospitals too.
Re: milk sensitivity/lactose intolerance--I don't know if there is
any definitive test to determine which, but I have had personal
experience with 3 of my children--and neither my husband or I have
allergies at all.  I'm also seeing it more and more with the moms

& babies I come in contact with, usually phone counseling about
some other question entirely.  The symptoms that I tell parents
to be aware of are any or all of the following:  a baby that
sounds congested when it breathes, you never see anything drain
from the nose but it seems like if you could just have it blow
its nose it would clear up; if the baby spits up the spit up is
already separated into clear liquid and curds; or the worst of
all is a baby who cries (screams) for no reason and it is a cry
that is very disturbing--you want to do something about it NOW.
Mom needs to know that it takes 10-14 days for dairy products
to clear out of her system, so if she cuts out dairy she needs
to give it time to work. Most often it is only necessary to cut
all visible dairy--milk, cheese, cottage cheese, YOGURT, ice
cream, sour cream.  People think of yogurt as healthful, but
not always a dairy product so I always emphasize it.  Many times
a change for the better is seen in less than the 10 days.  If
a mom cheats baby has symptoms in 24 hours or less.  I've not
been brave enough to try the lact-aid drops so I don't know
about them.  I also always emphasize if a mom is cutting dairy
products that she makes sure she gets the calcium she needs,
pharmacists are a good source of info for cheap, yet well
utilized calcium.
One of my colleagues had a baby that screamed from right after
he started nursing for a long time afterward.  He had an
ulcerated esophagus(sp?) from dairy in his mother's diet.
When she cut dairy products from her diet, he healed and she
continued happily nursing.
Hope this is helpful.

--
                  |    Pat Buckell BA,IBCLC     |