HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:33:39 -0400
My purpose in discussing the encomienda system was to defend my hypothesis
that native people living in California were imposed upon by a Spanish culture
that depended upon breaking down native systems and reducing native cultural
identity by drawing native people into religious agricultural programs. Some
native people went willingly, but most did not. Spanish authorities drew upon
cultural models to change native populations and force acculturation. Informal
encomienda processing came in many variations on the Spanish borderlands. To
identify this process with regards to Spanish-Native American relations in the
18th century and to seek material culture reflections is part of what we do. I
feel it is inappropriate to paste a label of "anti-mission" to anyone
interested in this topic. I know there are some archaeologists who believe that little
or no cultural impact occurred and that once Mexico secularized the missions
in 1834, the native people simply went back to their native way of life. The
problem with this scenario is that thousands died and Spanish authorities and
later Mexican and European Americans denied native people access to coastal and
valley resources that so very much a part of thier annual seasonal rounds.
This was cutting them off from salt, marine foods, and winter festivals. I
continue to be surprised that anyone would deny Spanish systemic models for changing
native populations to become Spanish citizens was anything less than a breach
of their rights.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.