HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:49:47 -0600
Howdy, Paul!  I certainly do NOT mean to denigrate the documentary
evidence.  Historical archaeology would be much more difficult without it
(insert large grin here).  I agree that my trust in the
artifact/feature/site level data is to a fair degree becauser I am both
more familiar and comforable with it.  I also agree that everyone in our
field can think of endless cases of misinterpreted data.  The "hard
sciences" have consistently had to deal with the problem of data
mis-interpetation as well as the social scientists.

I also agree with the point (I believe it was Ron May's) historical
documentation summaries and reports, seldom have what I need to help answer
the questions I am asking.  I usually have to go back to the original or
baseline data (wills, letters, diaries, etc.).  The same is often true for
me in archaeological reports where I have to go back and actually look at
the artifacts for myself.  Historians have the problems as archaeologist in
that their publications simply can not reproduce every single lilttle bit
of their documentation.  We can not illustrate every artifact, publish
every profile, conduct every test known to science and so on and put them
into our reports.

The nature of scientific inquiry is that we almost always have to go back
to the original sources of information ourselves.  The more narrow and
particular the nature of our inquiry, the more dependent we will be on
original sources.

I have never learned a danged thing from those that already agree with me.
The folks that I have always been indebted to are the ones that diasagree
with me.  Besides, problems of interpretation are a great reason to get
together and hoist a few at the SHAs.  Of course, when it gets down to
"Alien Landing Pads", a new topic may be in order.

Smoke.

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA
Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
605 West Main Street
Russellville, Arkansas 72801
(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

                      paul courtney
                      <paul.courtney2@NT         To:      [log in to unmask]
                      LWORLD.COM>                cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject: Re: Just the facts, ma'am
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      03/15/2004 11:40
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

I trust archaeological data a LOT more than many classes of
> historical data. SMOKE that is probably because you are dealing with the
archaeological data yourself and are more expert in it. I can think of
endless cases of misinterpreted arcaheological data, - one of the commonest
is not allowing for destruction of evidence or people inventing kilns from
1
sherd of distorted pot. The commonest misuse of historical data is probably
not to read and understand documents in their entirity but to pull
sentences
out of context. I can think of a few archaeologists who have misread
documents. One amateur archaeologist wrote an entire  book chapter based on
a misreading of  street name and a famous British archaeologist's
misreading
of a medieval latin document had me searching for days for a windmill
rebuilt with elm trees- in fact its sails had beene repaired with so many
ells of cloth. Of course professional historians get it wrong also- thank
goodness or it all have been said a hundred years ago. I won't bore you
with
a long list of archaeological excvations whose interpretation would be
radically different had I not had inspired thoughts based on the
documentary
evidence. However, in my experience of several decades working on both
arcahaeology and documents- the score is even on misinterpretation.

paul courtney
historical archaeologist and/or archaeological historian
Leicester UK