HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Larry Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:28:24 -0600
American English (an oxymoron if I ever heard one!) is a work in progress.
They used to make an "s" look like a funny looking "f", for instance. That
was perfectly correct in its time, but no longer. Things change. I think the
bottom line is if you are writing for a particular publication you follow
the guidelines it requires. I think clarity and coherence are far more
important than "correctness". As for me, I prefer "an" historian simply
because it sounds less awkward when spoken. But that'f juft me.