HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:44:36 -0600
I am an Owl afficanado.  I have read most books on them and learned to call
many of them.  I have not only seen photos but have actually been in a barn
with three folks working away and neither of the pair of Barn Owls left the
nest even though there were no eggs or owlets in it.  It is a "comfort
level" thing.  It depends on the individual owl's exprience with humans
and/or horse and other stock in the barn.  There are even internet sites
where you can obtain free plans for building a barn owl nest which you  can
mount in a tree in your yard or up on the side of your house.  The site
must be 'attractive" to the species you want.  Most owl species can
tolerate a limited amount of human and other animal activity.  It seems
Barn Owls can tolerate the most.

Now, are you talking about owl pellets which come out the front end or
droppings which come out the back?   :-)    As to the amount of owl pellets
on the floor, that would be difficult to judge.  Some folks barns are more
active places than others.  Also, some folks keep a cleaner barn than
others.

Smoke.

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA
Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
605 West Main Street
Russellville, Arkansas 72801
(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

                      James Harcourt
                      <harcourtj@SOCKE         To:      [log in to unmask]
                      T.NET>                   cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Hoot of a question
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY
                      u>

                      10/31/2003 09:04
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Does any one know what level of activity (human, stock, cats, etc)
owls will tolerate in a barn?  Specifically, can the amount of owl scat
be used to argue for the abandonment of a barn?

Thank you

James Harcourt
"Agency" Archaeologist