HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marcy Rockman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:56:37 -0700
Hi,

I've just read my daily Histarch digest full of the commentaries on degrees
and have to comment.  I've just received my Ph.D after 7 years in my program
and a total of 9 in grad school (for the Master's).  I stand in awe of those
on this list who clearly demonstrate their detailed knowledge of artifact
types and historical information day after day and which, I'm sure,
underlies a great deal of experience with fieldwork.  To date, I don't have
this kind of knowledge.  After all of my time in school, however, I will
match my stamina in front of a computer to anyone.  Add to that a very high
tolerance for photocopy toner fumes, an intricate knowledge of my
university's bureacracy that is applicable nowhere else, and a small bit of
what I really hope is creative insight into piece of archaeologically
theory.  In sum, a Ph.D is not a substitue for or a guarantee of all
archaeological skills, it just indicates a _different_ set of skills....

On a slightly more serious note, I am very interested in the thread of this
discussion about the changing nature of requirements to work in
archaeology/history.  When did having a Ph.D become a standard for getting
grants, leading projects, and teaching?   For example, my father was quickly
employed in 1965 teaching geosciences at a state college with a master's
degree.  He says he is absolutely sure there is no way he would get the same
job today without a Ph.D and a long list of publications.  Did the change
start in a particular area of archaeology and spread, or was it an
across-the-board sort of thing?

I expect at least part of the trend is due to supply and demand (and yes,
I'm now guilty of swelling the ranks of Ph.Ds searching for a job in a
not-particularly-favorable economic situation.  Note: suggestions about jobs
most welcome!), but am wondering if other forces have been at work.

best wishes,
Marcy

Marcy Rockman, Ph.D
Department of Anthropology