From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:31:18 -0600
I have both used teas and been in contact with many other adoptive mothers who have done so, and seen a notable difference in milk supply.  It is true that Mother's Milk tea is not strong enough to accomplish much.  It has very small amounts of galactogogues, along with herbs to make it taste food.  Perhaps the store-bought teabags of herbs like fenugreek do not contain a substantial amount of herb, I do not know.  However, what I and other moms have done was make our own tea out of whole seeds.  I used a rounded teaspoonful of whole fenugreek seeds and half teaspoonful of whole fennel seeds, per cup of boiled water.  I steeped it no longer than five minutes, because steeping it longer resulted in something bitter that burned my stomach.  However, it was definitely strong enough, in the properties that helped with milk supply.  It was also enough to make me smell like maple syrup.  My son, Joseph, who was the one I used the most of it with, got hooked on the scent.  As a toddler, he would go through the laundry and find a piece of my clothing and then carry it around, sniffing it, as his security blanket, or even rub his hand under my arm and then walk around smelling that!  To this day, his favorite foods are all of the things that we put the syrup I make with imitation maple flavoring on.

There have also been moms who used other methods to take their herbs.  Fenugreek is the one with the most options.  Taking a half teaspoonful of seeds and washing then down whole is one way.  Another is to not only drink the tea made from seeds, but eat the softened seeds from it.  I tried sprouting the seeds once, but the sprouts were too bitter.  I also know that there are cultures that make cakes and various things for nursing mothers to eat, but I haven't heard of any recipes!

I think there is an advantage to using whole seeds, versus something that has previously been ground up, and put into capsules at an undetermined time.  Also, I believe that making up a quart or more of tea every morning and sipping it throughout the day helps moms make sure they are taking adequate fluids.

Aloha,
Darillyn